The secret to the tastiest avocado toast
Crunchy Gooey Avocado Toast with Green Peas
Happy Monday everybody!
My weekend was pretty uneventful - on purpose. I steered clear of the mall, for very good reasons as you all can understand. I cleaned up a bit of my study and a bit of my hard drive. Kiddos had a lot of at home play time as deliberately designed it. Luckily they are at a stage where for the most part, they are not getting on each other's nerves! Peace was sustained in the house and we even managed to make a delicious piece of steak with a white wine and mushroom sauce and green beans for dinner Sunday night (recipe coming soon!). I call that a superb weekend - says a mother of two.
I woke up this morning feeling particularly fresh and energized to make myself an elaborate breakfast for one. No huevos, no sunny side up, no oatmeal, no pancakes.. the avocados were calling me out of the depths of the drawer in my refrigerator. So I take them out. I have been thoroughly enjoying Vital Farms pasture raised eggs lately so out they come. I have this particular favorite from Central Market - their three seed bread is just Ah-mazing, especially with some butter and toasted on a pan.
Now, I had to put some spice on it, so out came the oregano and cumin. Didn't want go too crazy on the ingredients.. but did want to make them a bit different. So got some frozen peas and just a little fresh cut red onions for that punch with the peas.
- Spread some butter on your favorite bread.
- Toast it on a medium heated pan (I prefer cast iron). See my detailed cookware write-up here.
- In an 8 inch omelette pan, add a spoon of olive oil, and 1 tbsp of chopped onions
- To this mixture, add fresh or frozen green peas
- Stir for 20-30 seconds, and crack open two eggs
- Shake the eggs just a bit so the yellow spreads over just a little
- Sprinkle 1/8 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp of cumin power
- Top it off with a sprinkle of kosher salt
- Slice the avocado
- Spread the avocado on the toast and top it off with the eggs
- Eat with your favorite hot or cold beverage. Mine happens to be a cappuccino!
The secret to a great avocado toast?
- Well, the bread needs to be thin, preferably sourdough. Definitely toast it on a pan, so it's crunchy but retains a little moisture. (A toaster tends to dry out the bread)
- Do not overcook the eggs - I left mine still a touch runny
- Don't hold back on the spice. The last thing you want is under salted and under seasoned avocado-eggs combo. Sprinkle your favorite spice and you are good to go!!
- Get creative. In this recipe, I even add some green peas to give that extra protein boost!
See that bite? I cannot tell you how good that crunch is with the soft avocado and the hint of spice from cumin and oregano. You are going to love it!!
The best part of my mornings is sipping my coffee looking out to the morning layers in the sky.